Saturday, March 14, 2009

Linux From Scratch

Im trying to install Linux from scratch on VMware Fusion. This is the first time I've done LFS so we'll see how it goes.

Right now Ive booted the LiveCD, created my partitions on /dev/sda and am in the middle of downloading all the required packages. I'll keep you up to date :)

One change to the packages Im downloading is the gcc compiler... Im downloading 4.3.3 rather than 4.3.2 as 4.3.3 is the latest stable release, command options should be the same as 4.3.2, and I'll always have this nagging desire to recompile everything with the newer gcc if I dont do this... we shall see if this is a mistake

another change is that I am going to use the 2.6.28.x kernel rather than the 2.6.27.x kernel listed.

I took a snapshot after I dled all the packages (before patches)... more in my next post

No comments: